Cybersecurity Awareness Month – How Do You See Yourself in Cybersecurity?
Every year, during Cybersecurity Awareness Month, we highlight the importance of security and privacy. With 52 million data breaches during the second quarter of this year, we not only wish to safeguard individuals and their data, but also keep cybersecurity professionals abreast of vulnerabilities and solutions.
The increasing number of cyberattacks has shown us data breaches can happen to any company, regardless of size and industry. According to Mimecast’s State of Email Security 2022, three out of four organizations have been victims of a ransomware attack.
We’ve compiled resources to help cybersecurity professionals join the fight through education, connection with security colleagues, and leadership at every stage of their careers.
Courses | Peer-Reviewed Research | Conferences | Technical Communities | Cybersecurity Articles
IEEE Academy Courses
There are more than 700,000 job openings in cybersecurity in the United States, and it is estimated that there will be more than 3.5 million unfilled jobs globally by 2025.
If you’re looking to start a career in cybersecurity, or are already established in the field, we’ve picked top course programs from IEEE that help professionals as you stay on top of the latest technologies and strategies in security.
Additionally, you can search for open positions for security practitioners and cybersecurity in academia on the IEEE Computer Society Jobs Board.
Cybersecurity Tools for Today’s Environment
This 11-hour program provides up-to-date information and techniques to protect enterprise networks from future threats. These courses are best for mid-level computer science professionals who want to augment their knowledge in the field of cybersecurity.
Topics covered include threat vectors in cloud services, penetration testing, network sniffing and encryption, and web servers and application security and footprinting.
- Cloud Security
- Data Security in the Cloud
- Introduction to Penetration Testing
- System Fundamentals for Cyber Security
- Cryptography Fundamentals
- Mobile Device Security
- Network Sniffing
- Social Engineering for Cyber Security
- Web Server & Web Application Security
- WiFi and Bluetooth Security
Hacking Your Company: Ethical Solutions to Defeat Cyberattacks
This 8-hour program teaches IT departments how to identify weak points in their company’s cybersecurity.
You’ll learn about SQL attacks and evasions, the nature of malware, process enumeration, and how to use scanning, system hacking, and session high jacking.
- Ethical Hacking: Scanning
- Ethical Hacking: Enumeration
- Ethical Hacking: System Hacking
- Ethical Hacking: Malware Fundamentals
- Denial of Service Attacks
- Ethical Hacking: Session Hijacking
- Ethical Hacking: SQL Injections
- Ethical Hacking: Evasion Techniques
Peer-Reviewed Roadmaps, Frameworks, and More
The IEEE Computer Society Digital Library (CSDL) has over 840,000 peer-reviewed articles sharing methodologies, frameworks, and tools with practical applications in industry. We’ve compiled a few popular articles on trending topics from conference proceedings and IEEE Security and Privacy Magazine. We encourage you to search cybersecurity topics to find solutions to your current challenges.
- Reinforcement Learning for Anti-Ransomware Testing
- Ransomware: stages, detection and evasion
- RanPAS: A Behavior-based System for Ransomware Detection
- Ransomware as a Business (RaaB)
Security as a service
- The Need for New Antiphishing Measures Against Spear-Phishing Attacks
- SpoofCatch: A Client-Side Protection Tool Against Phishing Attacks
- LSTM Based Phishing Detection for Big Email Data
- Phishing Email Detection Using Persuasion Cues
- MAUSPAD: Mouse-Based Authentication Using Segmentation-Based, Progress-Adjusted DTW
- Class Balanced Multifactor Dimensionality Reduction to Detect Gene–Gene Interactions
- Towards IoT Security Automation and Orchestration
- Hybrid Firmware Analysis for Known Mobile and IoT Security Vulnerabilities
- Ontology-Driven Framework for Trend Analysis of Vulnerabilities and Impacts in IoT Hardware
- How Can IoT Services Pose New Security Threats In Operational Cellular Networks?
Cybersecurity Technical Conferences
Technical conferences are more than sharing the latest in cybersecurity research. They are an opportunity for security professionals to engage with a community of like-minded practitioners and share solutions to common challenges.
Here are seven conferences happening over the next three months focusing on all areas of security. Feel free to get a head start on next year and search cybersecurity conferences in 2023.
- IEEE Secure Development Conference (SecDev), 18 – 20 October 2022
- IEEE Symposium on Visualization for Cyber Security (VIZSEC), 19 October 2022
- IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), 28-30 October 2022
- IEEE/ACM First International Workshop on Cyber Security in High Performance Computing (S-HPC), 13-18 November 2022
- International Conference on Advancements in Smart, Secure, and Intelligent Computing (ASSIC), 19-20 November 2022
- IEEE/ACM Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC), 5-8 December 2022
- IEEE 4th International Conference on Trust, Privacy, and Security in Intelligent Systems, and Applications (TPS-ISA), 14-17 December 2022
If you are a CISO, manager, or lead researcher, IEEE Computer Society Technical Communities are an opportunity for you to lend your expertise and leadership to drive conferences, knowledge sharing, and mentorship of upcoming leaders.
Security permeates every field of computing, and one entry point into technical communities is the Technical Community on Security and Privacy (TCSP).
TCSP addresses multiple areas of security, including operating system security, data encryption, access control mechanisms, and database protection, as well as legislation, technology impact, and standards for digital security.
TCSP publishes a bi-monthly newsletter, Cipher, and sponsors two annual technical conferences: IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy and Computer Security Foundations Symposium.
Tech News brings the latest news and insights on security, technology, and trends for computing professionals and cybersecurity enthusiasts.
If you are a security practitioner with best practices and advice from your field of expertise, we welcome thought pieces that can be shared with the great security and computing communities. Learn more about contributing as a thought leader.
- Top 7 Cybersecurity Consulting Services: What They Do and Why You Need Them
- The Biggest Attack Vectors for Cybercriminals in 2022
- Big Tech Companies Pledge $30M to Bolster Open Source Software Security
- Emerging Technologies: Unified Endpoint Management
- Security Service Edge: Will it Be the New ‘Must’ for Organizations?
- Are IoT Apps Doing Enough to Protect Your Privacy?
- What Is Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) and Why Is It the Future of Remote Access?
- Addressing Cybersecurity Risks in Commercial Buildings
- Ethics and Privacy in AI and Big Data
- Which Security Features Can Bolster the Quality Software Developed as a Layered Technology?
- Software Security for the People: Free and Open Resources for Security Training
- Reasons Why Cybersecurity Training is Critical for Remote Employees
- API Security Best Practices for FinTech
- Everything You Need to Know about External Penetration Testing
- Advanced Tips and Tricks to Prevent Android Malware in 2022
- How Much Can You Make as an Ethical Hacker
- How Can You Further Secure Your Cyber Security When Planning Physical Security
- Five Cybersecurity Technologies You Need to Know to Land an IT Job
- What more is there to endpoint detection and response?
- What is the True Meaning of Modern Access Control?
- How to Win the Security Fight: Quick Tips for CISOs and Organizations
- Why Neglecting the Humanistic Side of Cybersecurity Can be Fatal
- How to Avoid Data Breaches Caused by Hardware End-of-Life
- Risks of Using QR Codes and How to Mitigate Them
- Why Cybersecurity Remains a Top Priority for Businesses
- 8 Cloud Security Trends to Watch Out for in 2022